Signal and Noise
September 14, 2013 13 Comments
Here’s a short video I did on my last day in Riga talking about an analogy I used with our student between Game and your favourite sport. Imagine a guy first developing an interest in boxing. He doesn’t really know what he’s watching aside from the really obvious stuff like a knockdown. He’s only capable of recognising the biggest most obvious signals. As he watches more fights (and even better, trains in a gym) he’ll start to pick up on all kinds of weaker but crucial signals such as:
- One fighter is throwing lots of fast flashy punches everytime his opponent comes near but he’s not setting his feet. This betrays his fear and lack of confidence in his power.
- The more aggressive fighter takes a hard counter right hand. His legs don’t wobble and his face never changes expression but he suddenly stops coming forward. That one hurt.
As you intelligently learn your chosen sport you begin to see what others can’t. For example, I’m told that Aussie Rules football is a deep technical game whereas to me it looks like one big fight with a football thrown into the middle. Guys who know the sport can see those subtle ebbs and flow that determine the game. So it is with The Game. The longer you spend in set, the more face-time you have with women, the more chances you take to provoke feedback…. the more you utilise your brain’s inate pattern recognition system.
So to summarise the video, there are likely three reasons why you can’ read the signal:
- Entitlement: You don’t believe a girl like that would be attracted to and have sex with you, so you can’t process her signals telling you that’s precisely her intention. You look for over-confirmation.
- Calibration: You are too logical and too clueless, or perhaps too drunk. You simply don’t know what you are looking for and how to distinguish the signal from the noise.
- Model: You haven’t been properly taught the technical progression of an effective seduction model. Perhaps you’ve been sidetracked with charlatan YouTube videos or the blind-leading-the-blind of internet forums. You don’t have an expectation of what signals are thrown out by the girl and when so you aren’t receptive to them.